Thursday, October 5, 2017

The Return of the Black Widowers by Issac Asimov






I've loved the Black Widowers mysteries ever since I found an old copy at my local library's book sale 20+ years ago. (OMG has it really been that long since I was in high school?!?!) As I was perusing the library a few weeks ago, looking for a good mystery, I came across The Return of the Black Widowers, by Issac Asimov and grabbed it immediately!

This anthology did make me sad as it was published after Mr. Asimov's death, the stark reminder there are no more Black Widower stories to tell (at least from Mr. Asimov's point-of-view).

Every story has the same premise: a group of men who call themselves the "Black Widowers" gather monthly in a private room at a restaurant. One of the members brings a guest, who is asked to justify his existence after dinner.  In each case, the guest presents a mystery - a puzzle to which neither he nor the members cannot solve.  At that point, Henry, the trusted and beloved waiter, steps in with his thoughts - and the mystery is solved!

These stories are great for fans of old-fashioned mysteries.  The puzzles are always intriguing and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment